Sunday, September 11, 2005

We Want Moshiach Now?

bs"d

We davan everyday for Moshiach. But if we really thought about it carefully I'm not sure if we truly would say it with such Kavana if we really believed the ramifications. Let me preface by saying YES! After much thought, I still really want Moshiach NOW!

My child has a book called When Moshiach Comes. What it doesn't say is that when Moshiach comes he will tell each member of Am Yisroel which Shevet, tribe, they are from. Somehow, the nation, each and every member, will once again know which piece of inheritance actually is theirs. This sounds nice in theory but in practice it means that most probably we will all have to relocate. That's what the Yovel year is about. Not such an easy thing to do as we see with the misplaced people of Gush Katif and Katrina and New Orleans. But being that this will be in the time of Moshach we will joyfully accept this relocation with love and knowledge that it is in our best interest and we are moving to a life of Meeyn Olam Haba.

My parents are Holocaust survivers. My father's first family, his wife and daughter were slaughtered in the Shoah. My mother's parents and many of her siblings likewise. They were ruthlessly displaced. Recently I viewed a video called "The Silent Exodus" a film produced by Pierre Rehov. http://www.pierrerehov.com/. This documentary vividly shows how Jews in Arab speaking countries such as Yemen, Syria, Lebanon, Iran, Iraq etc were forced sometimes at a moments notice to evacuate leaving their entire lives behind them. The alternatives they faced were progroms and riots. I was in shock because all this was happening in MY lifetime and not even my parents. And I had no idea of its magnitude. The film depicted country after country expelling the Jews in Nazi like fashion. Each time Israel gained the upper hand, 1948, 1967, Entebbe etc the Jews in these countries suffered a retaliation forcing a Silent Exodus. Why do I bring this up? It is in order to suggest a possibility. Our heroes of Gush Katif are Creme de la Creme. Why were they displaced? Without fingerpointing except to our Master in Heaven, I would like to suggest the following. The message we learn is that we can never really feel secure in our dwelling. Life on this earth is a temporary one. We are all in G-'d hands and His infinite mercy. Sukkos to a small degree and the Jubillee year,Yovel brings this message across but without the trauma. Please G-d, bring the Moshiach NOW!

No comments: